Redfern & Sons (later Redfern Ltd), was a British couture house, (open c.1850 to 1932; 1936–40) founded in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. By the 1890s it had branches in London, Paris, Edinburgh, and New York.
John Redfern (11 November 1820 - 22 November 1895) started out as a tailor in Cowes in 1855. With the support of his sons, Ernest and Charles Poynter Redfern (1853-1929), John Redfern opened a salon in London in 1881, followed by shops in New York and Rhode Island in 1884-85, and by 1891, there were Redfern & Sons branches in Edinburgh and Paris. Ernest ran the London and New York branches, whilst Charles, and later, John Poynter Redfern, ran the Paris salon. From 1892, when Redfern's sons took control of the business, the house became known as Redfern Ltd. Redfern Ltd. eventually closed in 1932, briefly reopened in 1936, and closed again in 1940.
By 1871 Redfern had expanded his tailoring business to include the design and sale of silk dresses and mourning dress. During that decade Redfern & Sons began offering clothing specifically for sport, with tailored garments for women who rode, played tennis, went yachting, and did archery. Although intended for specific sporting pursuits, these clothes were adopted as everyday wear by their clients, making Redfern probably the first sportswear designer. In 1879 the house created a dress in jersey which was worn by Lillie Langtry who became known as the 'Jersey lily' (from her birthplace in Jersey). In 1888, Redfern became Dressmaker By Royal Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen and H.R.H. The Princess of Wales.